Monday, September 12, 2016

A Simple Mason Bee Nesting Unit

I just made a really simple Mason Bee nesting unit.

You can make these with 2x4 or 2x6 planks of wood. I used a 2x4 for this prototype because it is easier to manipulate. I cut the 2x4 into various lengths using my band say. You can easily use a good hand saw. It is just as easy.




I cut a 1x2 plank to equivalent sizes.







I measured and marked for holes 1 inch apart, and used a punch to start the holes. 






Using a 7/16 in wood bit, I drilled holes with a hand held drill. If you have a drill press available, It is a lot easier to get nice parallel holes.






I used a circular file to clean out the holes.








I cut a variety of block sizes.






I cut 5 by 5 inch pieces of parchment paper. You can get it in your supermarket. I rolled in around a standard pencil. The resulting tube is 5/16 in in interior diameter.



I inserted the paper tubes into the holes in the 2x4s. 










The paper tubes will be secured with the 1x2 pieces using wood screws.







Now, I will continue to roll and insert the paper tubes into my 2x4 pieces.





There are myriad ways to use these units. How would you make and utilize these units?

No comments:

Post a Comment