Thursday, September 8, 2016

Making A Bee Cube

Here is a simple and versatile Mason,
Leaf Cutter or Carpenter Bee nesting unit

This is a very easy bee house to build.

I started with a 1 by 8 pine plank. This is really 7 and 1/4 by 3/4 inches in dimension. My friend Bob Oram (all around handy guy) has a table saw and he helped me cut pieces of wood. The back is 7 and 1/4 by 7 and 1/4 inches. Two sides are the same dimensions. Two sides are 7 and 1/4 by 5 and 3/4.




I assembled the pieces into a cube and squared it with clamps.






I glued and screwed the pieces together.











My friend and master bird/bee house builder Art Lituchy helped me cut pieces of roof flashing to fit two sides of the cube.











The flashing was glued and tacked on two sides of the cube. It will hold nesting tubes, pieces of bamboo or small segments of branches. these materials will be good nesting sites for Mason, Leaf Cutter and Carpenter Bees respectively.



Now -- Build it yourself and decorate it to make it uniquely yours.






No comments:

Post a Comment